Saturday, March 22, 2014

Oven lids

I found this post on Reddit about stoves. The post was about how someone discovered that he or she could lift the top of their stove like a car hood to more easily clean underneath the heating rings. The comments I read seem to fall into two general categories: either "Yeah, stoves do that. Of course that's how you would clean it," or "I've never seen that before, and mine does it, too!"

An electric stovetop with it's surface lifted and propped open like a car hood
Photo from the Reddit post showing the stove top lifted up
I fell into the second category. In my parents' home, we have a glass-top electric stove which does not lift up, since there's no way for anything to fall underneath the surface. Because of that, I never saw them clean a stove like this as I grew up. To me, there are no visible signs that stove tops like this can lift up in this way, and before seeing this picture I would be hesitant to even try: what if I disconnect the power or pull the oven off the wall? What if I damage it?

To make it more obvious that this functionality exists, I would put small handles along the outer lip of the stove top, either labeled 'To clean, pull up' or a diagram of the lifted stove top on them.

I do agree with many of the Reddit posters: now that I know this, cleaning my stove it much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment